200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training
You’ve been practicing yoga for a while now. You feel the urge to deepen your practice, and you’re pretty certain you want to share yoga by teaching.
Join us in 2019 for our 200 Hour Hatha Yoga Teacher Training Program! You'll deepen your knowledge with instruction on anatomy, asana, breathing, meditation, philosophy, and the business side of yoga.
You’ll learn how to teach yoga in a way that is appropriate and beneficial for all kinds of people. And when you graduate, EveryBody will feel comfortable, capable, and welcome in your classes.
We know you probably have lots of questions about Yoga Teacher Training. We’d be happy to meet with you to understand your goals and help you determine if our training program is the right fit for you. Please email us to set up an appointment.
What You'll Learn
Studying to become a yoga teacher is a major life step and a big investment of time, energy, and money. In order to gain the most from your investment, we recommend cultivating a daily yoga practice and weekly study so that you can learn slowly and steadily throughout the 11 months of training. You will learn:
- Anatomy & Physiology - Bones, joints, muscles, and how they interact in yoga postures
- Asana & Modifications - Asana, purpose of asana, correct alignment, contraindications, and modifications
- Languaging - Effective use of language to guide asana and correct alignment
- Sequencing - How to string together postures to achieve a desired result
- Breathing - Breathing techniques and how to teach them
- Meditation - How to introduce meditation in your asana classes
- Classroom Management - How to effectively manage your classroom environment
- Yoga Philosophy - How modern yoga fits into the context of ancient yoga
- Yoga Teaching Best Practices - Insider guidance for professional yoga teaching
- Practicum -
- Business of Yoga - How to find your students, draw them to your classes, and be paid fairly for your work
Our 200 Hour Teacher Training program meets one weekend per month for 11 months. We prefer this extended schedule because it provides time for you to integrate the learnings into your body, mind, yoga practice, and yoga teaching. With three to four weeks between training sessions, you can review your notes, complete assignments, and develop inquiries to enrich the next training session.
Jan 18 (Friday, Opening Session)
Make-up Day TBD
Nov 9-10 (Graduation)
Class hours for the Opening Session, Jan 18, are 4:00 – 8:00 p.m. Class hours for weekend class dates are 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., with a one hour lunch break.
Our Yoga Teacher Training program is designed for experienced students and assumes students will arrive with a functional understanding of yoga based on their personal practice. Before applying, please make sure you meet the following requirements:
- At least one year of consistent yoga practice by the first day of class. (One or more practice session per week. Practice can be any style or format: studio, gym, private lessons, on your own, etc.)
- Attend at least 5 classes (at least one Gentle and one Moderate) at The Yoga Room to gain a good understanding of our yoga teaching philosophy.
- Be able to clearly articulate why you want to attend this training.
Ready to apply for our 2019 Yoga Teacher Training Program? Please download the 200 Hour Teacher Training Application, then submit your completed application via email or in person. Applications will be accepted through January 4, 2019. Please note that class size is limited to 12. We recommend applying early to secure your spot.
Tuition for the 200 Hour Teacher Training Program is $3595. Three payment options are available:
- Pay in Full
- Deposit + Pay Full Balance. Pay the deposit ($595) to hold your spot, then pay the balance ($3000) by the first day of class.
- Deposit + 10 Monthly Payments. Pay the deposit ($595) to hold your spot, then pay the $3000 balance in ten (10) monthly payments. A $100 administration fee applies to this payment option and is added to the first payment. Your first payment of $400 is due by the first day of class. The subsequent 9 payments of $300 are due by the 15th of the month.
Emily Hardeman is a lead teacher and also the Director Teacher Training. She is an E-RYT-500, Certified Yoga Therapist, and Licensed Massage Therapist, who has attended over 2500 hours of training in Professional Yoga Therapy, Hatha Yoga, Yoga for Fertility, Prenatal and Postnatal Yoga, Yoga Nidra, Hot Yoga, Anusara, Body Reading, The Business of Yoga, Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy, Massage Therapy, and Advanced Massage Therapy practices.
Emily has taught yoga since 2008 and is the co-founder and previous owner of an Austin yoga studio. She was the first teacher hired at The Yoga Room in December, 2010, and she has taught over 3500 hours of yoga in various settings including studios, gyms, fitness centers, corporate offices, birthing centers, and acupuncture clinics. In addition to teaching yoga for general populations and people dealing with the common effects of aging, Emily serves a variety of populations including people who are rehabbing from surgery or injury, people who are dealing with fertility issues, chronic pain, chronic stress, and joint replacement, the elderly, and professional athletes.
Emily’s mission in developing the 200 Hour Teacher Training program is to guide students to a solid understanding of all aspects of yoga and how yoga it can be adapted for broad and diverse populations. She draws from current medical research, her vast training, and on-going hands on experience in yoga teaching, yoga therapy, and massage therapy, to regularly update The Yoga Room’s Teacher Training curriculum and keep it current.
Emily and Zelinda are co-founders of the Community of Professional Yoga Teachers.
Zelinda Yañez - Lead Faculty
Zelinda Yanez, is the founder of The Yoga Room and a lead teacher in the Yoga Teacher Training program. Prior to becoming a yoga teacher and studio owner, Zelinda’s degree in Manufacturing Engineering led her to a 10 year career in High Tech where she worked in manufacturing, program management, and marketing roles.
Zelinda completed her initial 200 hour Teacher Training in Austin in 2007, and is currently enrolled in the 500 hour International Yoga Teacher Training Program at the Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram in Chennai, India.
Zelinda has taught thousands of hours of yoga instruction in various settings including corporate environments, corporate fitness centers, public schools, dance studios, and churches. She specializes in customizing the yoga practice to meet the needs of the practitioner and has significant experience teaching Yoga for Special Needs in public schools and Yoga for Multiple Sclerosis.
She is honored to bring the Krishnamacharya tradition to The Yoga Room's Teacher Trainees.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the maximum class size?
In order to maintain a high quality of learning, we limit each Teacher Training session to not more than 12 students.
Can I register for Teacher Training even if I don’t plan to teach yoga?
Yes! The 200 Hour Teacher Training is an excellent opportunity for people who just want to deepen their personal yoga practice. Your perspective may even change by the end of the training and you may decide you do want to teach.
What is included in the training?
- All training classes
- Class of 2018 Private Facebook Study Group
- Teacher Training Alumni Private Facebook Group
- Discounted Monthly Unlimited Pass to build your personal practice and aid in learning
Which textbooks are required?
Light On Yoga, by BKS Iyengar (any edition)
The Key Muscles of Yoga, by Ray Long, MD, FRCSC
Ready to register? Need more information?
Please contact us by email or call us (512-318-2112) with any questions or to set up an appointment!
Emily and Zelinda have created Professional Yoga Teachers to help bridge the gap from teacher training to professional-level yoga teaching. They offer training, support, and resources to increase professionalism in the yoga teaching community. Visit their website to learn more!